These healthy muffins are a great ‘filler’ at this time of year when the cold weather has set in and you get those tummy rumbles between meal times. I feel absolutely no guilt when I tuck into one of these satisfying muffins.hey give me that little energy boost that I need for the rest of the day. These scrumptious muffins have been a hit in our household for years and I love the fact that you can vary them to suit your taste buds. I often add different chopped nuts for that extra bit of crunch and texture.
1 1/4 cups GF or plain flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 3/4 cups unprocessed bran or GF rice bran
150 g chopped dates (I use Medjool)
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 cup rice bran oil
1 1/2 cups of kefir milk or buttermilk
1 egg, beaten
Thumb size piece of ginger (finely chopped)
1/4 cup chopped almonds or nuts of your choice
You can also add 4-5 chopped dried apricots
- Put flour, brown sugar, bran, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda, chopped dates, ginger and nuts into a bowl.
- Mix together
- Make a well in the centre of the ingredients and add the oil, kefir milk and beaten egg.
- Mix until just combined together.
- Place a large heaped tablespoon of mixture into a muffin case – you should be able to make 12 – 15 large muffins.
- Bake in oven for 18 mins at 190 degrees.
- Serve warm with butter – yum, yum.