Oh la la this is divine!
My grandson (4 years old) took one bite and announced “This is absolutely amazing Gi Gi and I am SO having this for my birthday dinner”!! LOL
180g digestive biscuits
85g butter, melted (for biscuit layer)
30g unsalted butter (for caramel layer)
100g light muscovado sugar
150ml double cream
1 tsp sea salt plus extra to serve
200g plain chocolate (70% solids), broken into chunks
100g Caramel sea salt dark chocolate
600ml double cream
25g icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
100g caramel sea salt dark chocolate, cut into squares to decorate
6 strawberries, halved to decorate
- Line the base and sides of a deep round 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin with baking paper.
- Crush the biscuits in a food processor until crumbs.
- Stir in the melted butter, then evenly press into the bottom of the tin. Chill for 10 mins.
- To make the caramel: Melt the butter in a pan and add the sugar and cream. Stir the mixture over a low heat until it dissolves, then increase the heat and simmer the sauce until it thickens slightly to a caramel consistency. Turn off the heat, leave the caramel to cool for about 10-15 minutes. Stir in the salt flakes.
- Reserve 2 tbsp. of the caramel. Spoon the remaining caramel into the centre of the biscuit base. Gently spread so the base is evenly covered but a visible 1-2cm border of biscuit remains around the edge. Chill for 20 mins while you make the chocolate layer.
- Chill the reserved caramel until ready to decorate.
- Gently melt the chocolate in a large heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water.
- Once the chocolate has melted, turn off the heat and gradually stir in the remaining cream until you have a smooth, thick chocolate sauce.
- Sift in the icing sugar and stir in with the vanilla extract.
- Let the mixture cool for 10 mins.
- Spoon the chocolate mixture around the edge of the torte first, so it fills the biscuit border, sealing the caramel in the centre. Then gently spoon in the rest to make a smooth surface.
- Place in the fridge and chill overnight until firm.
- Carefully remove the torte from the tin and transfer to a serving plate.
- Decorate with the chocolate squares on top of the chocolate layer.
- Decorate with strawberry halves.
- Spoon the reserved caramel mixture into a small food or freezer bag. Snip off the tiniest tip of the corner to make a very small opening, then squiggle lines of caramel over the top.
- Chill until ready to serve. Scatter with a pinch or two of sea salt before serving, then thinly slice.
Enjoy this truly decadent dessert 🙂