This post is for all my friends who are celiac or gluten intolerant. I wll be posting a lot more gluten free recipes in the near future and one reason for that is that I have very reluctantly started a gluten free diet. It is long overdue and I have avoided it like the plague but my body has finally had enough and let me know in no uncertain terms that I have to do something.
It has certainly opened my eyes and my way of thinking towards food and people with intolerances to food.
As much as I was dreading starting this journey I have to admit that it hasn’t been nearly as hard as I imagined, needless to say I only started 3 weeks ago so I suppose I am not really in any position yet to comment. I think the most difficult part of avoiding gluten is eating out either at friends or restaurants. There are quite a few gluten free options on the shelves now and I am sure that the selection will keep increasing. I have been able to adapt recipes at home to suit my new gluten free diet and to be honest most of these have been as flavoursome or more so than the original recipe and I have felt a hell of a lot better for it.
This date and banana bread is very, very easy and tasted delicious. I admit I didn’t wait for it to cool down before I was spreading butter on it and devouring it – yummy.
Happy cooking 🙂
1 cup of gluten free plain flour
1/2 cup flaxseed flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup oil (I used rice bran oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 bananas, mashed
1/2 cup chopped medjool dates
Small knob of fresh Ginger grated (of course!!)
1/4 cup Pepitas to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 180 C
- Line base of loaf tin with baking paper ( I just spray with oil)
- Add flours, baking powder and cinnamon into a large bowl.
- Stir in the sugars.
- Add chopped Medjool dates and grated Ginger.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Add egg mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Add mashed banana and fold into mixture until just combined – do not overmix.
- Place mixture into prepared loaf tin and place in preheated 180C oven for 60 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.